Monday 1 September 2008

Labor Day


I worked all day on another still life, I am really enjoying the colors. Today I decided to take a different approach and not do an initial drawing using linear methods but rather establish the forms and relationships of the forms to one another using directional shapes in various values. I began to see the entire set up differently and feel that the relationships make more visual sense - it was much quicker than struggling to make sure all the lines were correct and the individual shapes flowed together more convincingly. Last night I stretched a bunch of smaller canvases using linen - I love this surface! So, on Labor day, I worked all day and couldn't think of anything I would rather do. Just goes to show that when you are doing what you are meant to do, it is your life and not work at all. After years spent working as a union member/correction officer (I retired exactly a year ago), I appreciate Labor day more than most other holidays and feel a great amount of gratitude for the chance to "labor" at something that gives me such a feeling of joy. To all of those that are still laboring at something that doesn't fit - take the plunge as soon as you can, it's worth every financial sacrifice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patty. I met you this afternoon on a beach near Little Compton. I am blown away with your paintings. Next time I am at back in Little Compton I am going to check them out at the Donavan Gallery. Would you ever consider doing a workshop?

patricia walsh said...

Hey Jae.....It's nice to have a comment. I would love to do a workshop........believe it or not I used to teach for my department (gang and sexual assault investigation, not exactly painting). Keep in touch, it was nice to meet you. My email is: patricia_a_walsh@yahoo.com.........I am still new to this blogging thing and am not sure if you will even get this. Happy painting and thanks for your nice comments.