Sunday 28 September 2008

Back from Block Island


I have returned home from a week (Mon - Fri) of painting on Block Island. The "retreat" was hosted by the East Side Art Center in Providence, RI. and we had a wonderful time. We were supposed to leave on the ferry on Friday but had to stay until Saturday since the ferry was canceled on Friday due to bad weather. I met some terrific artists I didn't know and enjoyed the company of those I already did. It was nice to be free of routine distractions and know that all you had to do was paint. I will be posting paintings from the trip as the week progresses. The next two weeks are intensely busy for me anyway with a trip to NY next weekend and then a big wedding the next. I'll have to be very busy this week to keep on track before the rush starts, my daughter has already informed me she is assisting me with clothes for the wedding - too bad jeans won't do. This picture is small (8" square) and done from the yard of the place we stayed. I am finding the small format easier with practice - I am seeing it's advantages in the ability to work quickly and the way it forces one to distill the composition into it's basic elements.

No comments: