Thursday 17 December 2009

roller coaster - 10x8

This roller coaster is obviously abandoned and is located in the town of Dartmouth, MA. I have wanted to paint it for sometime and finally found a way to sort of sneak in (it wasn't hard). They have the grounds of this old amusement park fenced off with a sign stating that it is to be developed; the sign has faded and I don't see much development going on so I believe the project has been shelved for years. I doubt the current economic climate will allow further consideration and I must say that pleases me - I hate to see these old structures go. I am becoming more and more enamored with the angled winter light. I will probably sharpen this up some more and get a better photo tomorrow. I tried something new with this one; painted the sky and let it dry completely before attempting to establish the structure of this since it was so complicated.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful picture, and the light is wonderful.

patricia walsh said...

Thank you.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Wow - great painting, and I like the angularity of it, too. Lincoln Park. No, there are no *actual* plans for current development...

patricia walsh said...

Thanks Kelley...........this place is in Dartmouth on route 6.

smalltownchic said...

This is really cool. Damien and I broke into the old Whalom Park and took some great photos of the old roller coasters so it is neat to see one in a different medium.