Monday 19 January 2009

stormy weekend


I have decided to post a picture that I did yesterday morning while looking out my kitchen window...........the scene was really cool and I didn't come close to capturing it but I will use this study to do another picture so I decided to bite the bullet and post something that I would not normally show a single soul. I shoveled snow for hours yesterday and strained something in my leg so I am trying to sit as I paint today.........it's hard. Well, happy MLK day to all............I have been listening to some of King's speeches on"democracynow.org" which is a truly awesome resource if you wish to learn about what's behind all of the news. King really had it all figured out and it's amazing to listen to his indictment of corporatism as far back as 1967. I have sworn not to get all political on this site but today seemed as if it warranted at least a statement since I believe that Obama's inauguration tomorrow could begin a new direction for this country if people are just willing to suspend their fear and insecurity for long enough to see what is happening to their lives and their country. I am simply not willing to live in the way that I did for many years..............so many of the people that I worked with longed to get out but stayed (unhappily) for that last dollar in their deferred comp, that last percentage point in their retirement benefit only to see it all disappear in this economic crisis - that "security" was an illusion. I hope that we can move forward from the cynicism and materialism of the past several decades to a period where human values can again matter. Peace and prosperity to all.

2 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

OK - COOL painting. Love the vantage point. And - go ahead, get political for this one day! I went to the gym last night and listened, really listened to a documentary about MLK, and I CRIED on the treadmill - I lived through that time with blinders on - and I feel cracked open, open to the change you talked about, and change for equality in the truest sense for all of us.

patricia walsh said...

Kelley..............there are so many of us that feel the same way. Wasn't it just beautiful today? I am going to go to your talk on Friday so I will see you there & I am sure it will be interesting. Did they play the "promised land" speech? God, that brings me down every time.