Saturday 19 September 2009

stairs

I helped a friend begin to move today..........third floor stairs and lots of boxes! I didn't get home until after 5 so I am posting the figure study I did on Wednesday since I am too tired to begin working on anything. I hemmed and hawed a bit about showing this but decided to go for it and show how much I struggled with this particular pose.......it is quite obvious from the picture. The view I chose was very foreshortened and, by the first break, I thought I had it but of course the light changed and the pose changed a little and I had to regroup. I feel like I would have been better off sticking with drawing this pose rather than painting it since I was so busy trying to figure out the structure of the body. I have always been very grateful for the classical art education I received and feel that the less I get in my own way by not understanding what I am seeing the better. When I was in college it was very out of fashion to draw and paint realistically; I am glad that the pendulum has swung back and there is renewed interest and appreciation for classical training.

No comments: