Tuesday 8 September 2009

last day for the lobster


The picture I posted this morning was from yesterday...............then I went out to paint. Imagine my surprise when I got to this spot (a place I have been intending to paint for some time) and was informed that this historic sign was being taken down today! Since I love this thing so much, I decided to post it on the actual day it was taken down.......my own little 9x12 tribute. The building is for sale (approx. 4 mil.) and the owner was afraid it would not hold up to an approaching storm - the guys who were taking it down said several people had tried to buy it just this morning. At least it will be preserved and kept by the owner; there are so few of these gems left.

3 comments:

Zabby said...

Beautiful, mom! Glad even though your kids weren't able to spend your birthday with you that you had a nice day. Love you.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Hey! That's right near me! They took the LOBSTER down???? I'll BET they got 3 people interested - did they know they want THREE million dollars for this building (because they're selling it 'with plans' to turn it into a spa and an inn - and the plans include changing the siding to barnboard, and getting rid of all the charming windows, and the signs.... ugh. This is a great painting...
Happy Birthday!

patricia walsh said...

Thanks Kelley..........I have wanted to paint it for so long but, as usual, parking is limited. It was so weird to pick the very last day of it's life in Tiverton to do it. I know what you mean about the plans........pretty soon all of the chararater will be gone.........so sad. I am making it one of my goals to paint all of the real places left around here, too bad it's raining again or I'd be out there today.