Thursday 26 May 2011

heading home - 14x11

This is obviously undone but I was so excited by what I learned today (in the studio) that I had to post it. It is a lesson about value rather than color or drawing. I was all intent on going out to paint today but the fog rolled in and stayed all day so I worked on this. When I layed in the underpainting I did what I have been doing when I can - laying in a pure transparent wash into certain areas (what I love about watercolor). I realized that the water was not disrupting my vision for the scene when I stood back to judge things and realized that I have been painting water way, way too light. I will now be able to add some highlights and darker sky reflections without adding the color blue (unless it is needed) and retain the totality of the painting.
Wow, I love my job!

No comments: