Wednesday 3 September 2008

a beginning


I decided to stay in today and begin a larger painting of some sunflowers from my garden. Partially because my allergies were awful and I decided to not tempt fate by breathing in tons of pollen and mostly because I realized that the sunflowers would be gone soon. Who can NOT paint at least one sunflower painting every summer. I used to grow many different colors but was so used to them reseeding every year and taking over everything else that I decided to reduce their number this year and allow the perennials and vegetables some space. I yanked out tons of them and must have left only the yellow ones by accident, they are still wonderful and now the other plants are happy. This picture is all roughed in and I am connecting and refining the shapes, toning down some of the yellows and altering the areas to enhance the composition. I find that taking a photo and getting some distance from the picture as a visual statement allows me to see flaws and then correct them when I return. Anyway the process is interesting. Now my nose is running like a faucet and I fear I may be getting a cold - off to bed for me to try to nip it in the bud and finish this tomorrow.

No comments: