Tuesday 29 April 2014

Old Seabrook Post Office - 14x11


I figured I would post an example of why I don't often post photos of plein air work I do. I often choose complicated subjects that are difficult to finish in one sitting (but really want to to paint). I also choose to make them somewhat larger than is practical because I like working larger and have never been able to successfully distill the subject into an 8x6" panel. I did a little more on this before I had to quit because the light had changed so much I couldn't continue and wiped everything down. Now that I see the photo I see all the flaws that I didn't see on site! I know how valuable the entire morning was for me even though I had nothing concrete to show for it and plan on going back to the same spot to do another study and then do something larger from sketches and photos. This owner of the property actually stopped and told me a little about the building - the main portion of the building was a general store and the little collapsed portion was a post office.

No comments: