Monday 4 January 2010

gang speak - 8" square

This is sort of a blast from the past for me...........I couldn't resist attempting to try to paint some gang graffiti. After years of doing gang investigation I can read all of the symbols and let you know this is a memorial/death threat from a local gangster disciple (or related "folk nation" group) set in my neighborhood. This display appeared on the back doors of a local closed elementary school up the street from me - I saw it when I went for a walk with my camera. The 6 pointed stars and numeral "360" are some of their most frequently used symbols - the upside down "5"s are intended to disrespect members of a rival "people set" (most likely a local Blood gang) who use the number 5 in their graffiti. My challenge was to make an inherently ugly visual picture interesting and to see if I could paint the graffiti to look like graffiti.

No comments: