Wednesday 9 December 2009

still recovering (or just in bed?)

I tried to work today; went to figure drawing in a snowstorm this morning but had to leave early because the headache came back with a vengeance. I thought I would post a painting I have started and am now letting dry so I can apply color - this portrait is from a tiny, blurry black and white photo of my mother taken in 1952. It took me three days of reworking to get her likeness and realize that no one ever paints portraits with teeth! I hope I won't lose the likeness after the under painting has set up but if anyone has ever done a project like this and had success, let me know. Now it is back to bed with a book.

2 comments:

smalltownchic said...

I think this looks wonderful. It feels like an old photo to me.

patricia walsh said...

Thanks Sarah..........it is definitely going to change. We shall see if I can pull it off.